[GRASS-user] gdal, v.in.ogr, Ubuntu intrepid

Nikos Alexandris nikos.alexandris at felis.uni-freiburg.de
Sat Nov 29 08:20:08 EST 2008

On Sat, 2008-11-29 at 09:18 +0100, Paolo Craveri wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> troubles remain...
>
> I removed  gdal library by synaptic and then I compiled gdal and
> grass6.4 svn, but the error remains.
>
> I've also tried to remove and  install everything from synaptic
> (grass6.3), without improvement.
>
> I only  have one version of gdal installed.
>
> Does someone use gdal 1.5.2 /1.5.3 and GRASS 6.4 svn (or GRASS6.3) in
> Ubuntu Intrepid without errors when working with v.in.ogr/v.in.gdal
> etc. ?  It would be great if you tell me how can I get my system
> working.
>
> Many thanks in advance. ciao to all.
>

> --
> Paolo C.
> Lat. 44° 39' 11.08'' N  Long. 7° 23' 25.26'' E
>

> 2008/11/25 Jasiewicz Jarosław <jarekj at amu.edu.pl>:
> > There is a problem with gdal_translate in that package. Download and compile
> > gdal 1.5.3 and compile grass again. It should help.
> >

> > Jarek
> >

> > Paolo Craveri pisze:
> >>
> >> Dear grass users
> >>
> >> I have just read this thread
> >> http://www.nabble.com/GRASS-6.4-and-Ubuntu-Intrepid-td20222308.htm
> >>
> >> but I cannot understand clearly what can I have to do to avoid this:
> >>
> >> GRASS 6.4.svn (piemwgs84_prova):~/script_grass > v.in.ogr -o
> >> dsn=/media/disk/gis/shapefiles/  layer=polyRiserve output=riserve
> >> type=point,line,boundary,centroid snap=1 –o
> >>
> >> …
> >>
> >> *** buffer overflow detected ***: v.in.ogr terminated
> >>
> >> ======= Backtrace: =========
> >>

> >> …
> >>
> >> I get the same output as reported in the thread above.
> >>
> >> I have two GRASSS installed (6.3 from les-ejk.cz ubuntu 8.10
> >> repository and 6.4svn compiled) ;  libgdal1-1.5.0,
> >> libgdal1-1.5.0-grass, libgdal1-dev have been installed by Synaptic.
> >> I've already removed libgdal1-1.4 but the problem still remains.
> >>
> >> I'm working in Ubuntu Intrepid (8.10) of course.
> >>
> >> Many thanks in advance.

Ciao Paolo!

I was getting the same error (i.e. buffer overflow or segfault) a few
days back while trying to import a big shapefile (~160MB). There is also
a post in the archive about my problem importing this shapefile in
GRASS' database [1] perhaps related with the "Florida coastline"
problem".

I currently use gdal-1.6.0beta2 and grass6_devel under Ubuntu Intrepid
Ibex 64-bit and did not see this error again.

I did not pay too much attention to your post initially since I thought
that it's the problematic shapefile that causes the errors. Now I am
unsure of what really causes the failure to import this shapefile. Or
better said, I am unsure of what *caused* the failure since I sort of
managed to get in in the database (cleaning process never really ends).
But the latter issue should be a separate post.

Regards, Nikos