[GRASS-user] SRTM data aliases in UTM

John Stevenson john.stevenson at manchester.ac.uk
Mon Oct 6 08:20:07 EDT 2008

Hi,

I have imported some tiles of 1 arcsecond SRTM data into GRASS 6.3 using
r.in.srtm into a lat-long region.  Whenever I import them to a UTM
region, res=30, I get aliasing problems.  This results in a grid of
lines of jumps in elevation running through my data.

This happens when I use r.proj.  I have also tried generating a text
file of UTM coordinates via r.stats -1g, and cs2cs.  Importing this as a
raster or vector, and interpolating with r.surf.rst or v.surf.rst also
give aliasing errors.

What is the best way round this?  Importing at a higher resolution?  How
much higher?  My ultimate aim is to compare the SRTM with LiDAR data, so
if possible I would like to use an exact interpolation where possible.

Cheers

John

--

Dr John Stevenson