[GRASS-user] Re: SRTM data aliases in UTM

John Stevenson john.stevenson at manchester.ac.uk
Tue Oct 7 07:01:34 EDT 2008

WolfgangZ wrote:
> John Stevenson schrieb:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have imported some tiles of 1 arcsecond SRTM data into GRASS 6.3
>> using r.in.srtm into a lat-long region.  Whenever I import them to a
>> UTM region, res=30, I get aliasing problems.  This results in a grid
>> of lines of jumps in elevation running through my data.
>>
>> This happens when I use r.proj.  I have also tried generating a text
>> file of UTM coordinates via r.stats -1g, and cs2cs.  Importing this
>> as a raster or vector, and interpolating with r.surf.rst or
>> v.surf.rst also give aliasing errors.
>>
>> What is the best way round this?  Importing at a higher resolution?
>> How much higher?  My ultimate aim is to compare the SRTM with LiDAR
>> data, so if possible I would like to use an exact interpolation where
>> possible.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> John
>>

> You have to check what interpolation methods are used. If you don't
> specify anything, Grass might use "nearest", but I'm only using Grass
> rarely.
> For myself I use gdalwarp with cubic or cubic spline resampling for
> that task.
>
> http://gdal.org/gdalwarp.html
>
> Regards
> Wolfgang

Hi Wolfgang,

Thanks for the suggestion.  I just tried with GDAL_warp and got the same
problem.  I tried linear, cubic and cubic spline interpolation.  The 30m
grid spacing is very close to the 00:00:01 resolution of the data.  My
final map ends up with a kind of grid pattern superimposed that is most
visible on steeper slopes.  I am using tiles n33w117 and n34w117 and
projecting to UTM (epsg:26911).

Does anyone else have suggestions on how to convert it to UTM without
this aliasing issue?

Thanks

John

--