[GRASS-user] Using r.mapcalc to transform '*' values to a float

Thomas Adams Thomas.Adams at noaa.gov
Tue Oct 7 13:19:54 EDT 2008

I have a GRASS location that spans the entire U.S. I plan on
re-projecting raster maps into the location from a GRASS location with a
much smaller domain. When I do this, the values outside of the projected
map region have a value '*' when I query the new raster outside of my
area of interest using the GRASS GUI. What I need to do, ultimately, is
to use r.out.ascii to write out an ascii grid that covers the full U.S.
region regardless of the extent of the actual data. However, before I do
this I want to use r.mapcalc to convert the '*' values (are they
'null'?) to 9.999e+20, which is a the missing value for the software
that needs to ingest the ascii file output from GRASS. How do I treat
the '*' values in r.mapcalc?

Thanks,
Tom

--