[GRASS-user] Problem importing/viewing a ~160MB shapefile

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 13 20:07:48 EDT 2008

Nikos Alexandris wrote:
> Dear All, apologies for the cross-posting but I have trouble to work
> with a BIG shapefil (~160MB). I already used that shapefile in the past
> without problems. But now I can't use it.

? what changed?  did you install a new version of GDAL/OGR?
I use 400mb shapefiles without problem..

> In GRASS: I (almost) managed to import in GRASS this BIG shapefile but
> the process *stucks* somewhere at "breaking intersections" point (...it
> was running for 10 hours). I broke the process and the file was in
> GRASS' database. I run v.build but it still is problematic. I can't get
> anything on-display.

It just takes a long time when lines are very long and unbroken. It
eventually gets there.

See Radim's vector TODO:
  http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/browser/grass/trunk/doc/vector/TODO#L242

and search the archives for the "Florida Coastline" problem.

the v.in.ogr spatial= option might help.

> In QGIS: when I try to load directly the shapefile (not the GRASS
> vector) my system freezes!! I haven't seen my linuxbox frozen since I
> don't remember when. What could cause such behaviour?
> Is there anyway to get the shapefile fixed out of GRASS?

once loaded into GRASS you can run the v.split command to split the long
lines, then it is much faster (at least for other grass commands).

Hamish