[GRASS-user] d.out.file now does GeoTIFFs

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 29 04:23:33 EDT 2008

Hi,

I just added support for GeoTIFF export from d.out.file in 6.4svn.

Resolution is not as good as if you use r.out.gdal or r.out.tiff, but
it lets you export a map with multiple raster and vector overlays,
decorations, grid lines, etc. that you compose in the xmon.

e.g. for use as a backdrop in some navigation software.
 (overlay bathymetry DEM of river channel over an orthophoto)

slight contributing motivation:
I am not sure of a good way to merge raster maps with different color
tables (imagery data). In the past I have tried 'r.mapcalc r# g# b#'
operators+r.patch, d.out.png+r.in.gdal+r.region, neither was much fun.
I guess g.pnmcomp could help but I fear the added complexity of passing
the data through the display drivers will introduce noise. Perhaps
gdal_merge.py?  (see r.in.wms mess WRT merging paletted GIF images)

please test,
Hamish