[GRASS-user] Tips for setting up an new FOSS-GEO-linux-box

Nikos Alexandris nikos.alexandris at felis.uni-freiburg.de
Wed Oct 29 10:08:04 EDT 2008

I know, I know... it's off the lists topic! But I need some help.
Probably I am going to "migrate" soon all of my stuff in a new
linux-box. So I would like to collect best practice tips concerning the
following:

OS:
OK, I think I shouldn't ask about which OS since foss runs on everything
(right?). But are I am curious to know if there are any advantages using
Debian instead of Ubuntu for example?

Filesystems:
Which filesystem is better(=safer/faster) for data storage? Is there any
important advantage to choose XFS for example rather than ext3?

Partitions:
Do you keep your geo-data in a separate partition? I suppose yes. Have
you split further your partition based on other criteria, always related
with "working with geospatial data"?

Do you keep all of your source code in a separate partition maybe?

fantastic. But what about the "raw" data? How do you organise them?
Manually everything? Any tool to be more productive?

BackUp:
How often do you backup your data? Do you just copy or do you compress
as well? What is safer?

Other:
Any other important issues when setting-up a new foss-geo-box?

Thank you, Nikos

P.S. Maybe we can add a new wiki-page if something useful comes out of
this thread. Or maybe not... :-)