[GRASS-user] Re: [AniMov] GRASS Addons for the estimation of home ranges

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Mon Sep 1 06:10:08 EDT 2008

On Mon, Sep 1, 2008 at 10:19 AM, Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it> wrote:
> Clément Calenge ha scritto:
>>
>>> Great news, and thanks a lot Clément!
>>> It would be good to have all this in the main GRASS code, rather than as
>>> addons: any objections on this?
>>
>> Personally, I have no objection on this.
>
> The problem is that I sustpect very few people take the additional
> burden of compiling the addons, so keeping it there will make testing
> much lighter. But I may be wrong.

That's why GEM exists which should greatly simplify the compilation
of addons. In general, I see a difference between "completely untested"
and "lightly tested" (apart from "rigorously tested"). :)

There is also GIPE in the queue and others... but without testers it is
hard to move all over as bulk submission (and then receive messages
like "GRASS no longer compiles on my xyz platform and zyx operating
system"). Make sense?

Markus