[GRASS-user] Novice Query: Grass63, Cygwin on Windows startup errors, Error setting region (Problem with g.region: child process exited abnormally)

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 2 16:20:43 EDT 2008

Katie Urey
> A reinstall of cygwin and grass63 seemed the best route.
> And, now all sorts of grass63 windows open just fine.

great.

> My hunch (not proven) is that I had skipped this step in the install.
> It might help future installers if the source of #3 and #5 steps is
> clarified.
>
>   For installation of Cygwin, see http://geni.ath.cx/grass.html#toc5.
>     These instructions can be used, but at step #3 use
>     http://grass.ibiblio.org/grass62/binary/mswindows/ (or a local
>     mirror <http://grass.ibiblio.org/mirrors.php>) instead of
>     http://geni.ath.cx/grass. Also, in step #5 the version is 6.2.2-1
>     instead of 6.0.cvs-1, and there's no grass.bat script.

I would note that the README.html on the website at
  http://grass.osgeo.org/grass62/binary/mswindows/
has not picked up SVN updates since January. ("version is 6.2.2-1" above)
  http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/log/grass-web/trunk/grass62/binary/mswindows/README.html

In the GRASS 6.3 cygwin install page that is updated, but probably not
much clearer. Any suggestions for improved text?

> Now, with spearfish data installed,  there's much to
> learn.  And, more documentation to read.

don't forget the search the wiki and reading the GRASS book is probably
very helpful.

Hamish