[GRASS-user] Grass for Windows

Alex Schulze schulzibabe at web.de
Tue Sep 9 05:26:41 EDT 2008

Hi,

I installed Grass for Windows (WinGRASS-6.3.0-4-Setup.exe ) and got some problems.

I want to use r.terraflow with the following command:

r.terraflow elev=dem at as filled=dem_fill direction=dem_direction swatershed=dem_sinkwatershed accumulation=dem_accumulation tci=dem_tci d8cut=infinity memory=300 STREAM_DIR=/var/tmp stats=stats.out

But nothing happens. I changed the STREAM_DIR to C:\temp and tried r.terraflow.short. And also I tried it with Grass GUI and commandline.

Output:   elevation stored as SHORT (2B)
               region size is 1767 x 2150
               STREAM temporary files in C:/Temp  (THESE INTERMEDIATE STREAMS WILL NOT BE DELETED IN CASE OF ABNORMAL TERMINATION OF THE PROGRAM. TO SAVE S
               PACE PLEASE DELETE THESE FILES MANUALLY!)
               file stats.out exists - renaming.
               stats.out: File exists

The next point is. When I start Grass (commandline) and wants to start the gismanager (gis.m) an windows windows is open.
That says "The following file can't open"

File: gm.tcl

then something else and I can chose webservice or a program from the list.

At the moment I try to use r.fill.dir. For a small area it works fine. But now I want to use it for my whole study area and since hours nothing happens.

r.fill.dir input=dem elevation=dem.senkenloseHoehenkarte direction=dem.Fliessrichtungskarte
WARNING: Direction map is D8 resolution, i.e. 45 degrees.
Reading map...
Filling sinks...
Determining flow directions for ambiguous cases...
Downward pass 1
Upward pass 1
Downward pass 2
Upward pass 2
Downward pass 3
Upward pass 3
Downward pass 4

And a last problem. When I want to use v.db.addcol map=orange columns="GRASSRGB varchar(15)", I got the message

ERROR: value <und> out of range for parameter <driver>
       Legal range: dbf,ogr,pg,sqlite

and I should use db.execute. But in the Grass manual nothing is written about this.

okay, a lot of questions. Maybe anyone could help me.

best regards
Alex