[GRASS-user] v.out.ogr

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Wed Sep 10 16:54:58 EDT 2008

On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 10:42:12PM +0200, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <silvia.simoni at ing.unitn.it> flavor, containing:
> Hi grass users,
>
> i'm trying to export a grass vector and generate a shapefile using
> v.out.ogr. the vector contains 4 points and 6 boundaries each has its
> own centroids.
> the output shapefile contains 4 objects out of 10. WHY? How can I get
> all the objects?
>
> (i created the vector using v.patch from 2 separate vectors, one
> containg 4 points and the other containing 6 boundaries + centroids).

Shapefiles can only hold one type of data (point, line, polygon) per shapefile.
You can't export a grass vector with both points and areas to a single
shapefile.  You'll have to do it in two passes to two different files with
v.out.ogr and different "type=" parameters.

That is, it'll be as if you exported the data before having done the v.patch.

 "Argue for your limitations and sure enough, they're yours."  -- R. Bach