[GRASS-user] Errors with v.in.ascii with Strings

Ryan R. Rosario uclamathguy at gmail.com
Sun Sep 14 21:20:44 EDT 2008

I am able to import a CSV file containing two columns both of double
precision, but once I add in a third column (called 'name') of text with
arbitrary length, I get the following error:

"x column is not of number type"

The command I am using is as follows:

v.in.ascii input=data.csv output=incidents format=point fs=, skip=1
{columns=x double precision, y double precision, name varchar(255)} x=1 y=2
z=0 cat=0 --overwrite

There must be something in the text that v.in.ascii does not like. FWIW,
this third column contains street addresses. What could be causing this?

R.