[GRASS-user] trouble in setting projection

吉藤奈津子 natsuko.yoshifuji at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 05:58:34 EDT 2008

Hello.

I am a beginner and try to use grass on cygwin.
But I have some trouble in setting projection.
When I create new location, PROJ_INFO and PROJ_UNITS files are not created
Could someone teach me how can I solve this problem, please?
Sorry for my poor English and, maybe, a rudimentary question in advance.

The detail of what I did was as follows.

1)I installed cygwin, grass 6.2.3-1, gdal-1.3.1-1, and tcltk-grass-8.4.7-1
as explained at
http://wgrass.media.osaka-cu.ac.jp/grassh/grass62/binary/mswindows/#prereq

2) I started cygwin and input "startx" then xwindow opend.

3)I input "grass62" in xwindow. No graphic window was opened. Location name,
mapset name, and database name were asked (text mode).

4) Next, I was asked about coordinate system. I selected B(latlon)

5) Next, I was asked about the default region.  There was no question about
datum, so I could not select wgs84 or so.

6) Then, new location was created but the following message was shown.
LOCATION <test> created
But the PROJECTION information files were not created!
You must run g.setproj successfully before projection software will work

7) PROJ_INFO and PROJ_UNITS were not created. g.region and g.proj command
show nothing.

8) I input g.setproj, but nothing was occurred though manual of g.setproj
said that I will be prompted for the projection name.

Thank you for reading to the end.
I really hope that someone give me some advice.
Thank you.

Natsuko @JAPAN