[GRASS-user] <sigh>Not this pest again!

Richard Chirgwin rchirgwin at ozemail.com.au
Thu Sep 18 02:00:52 EDT 2008

Hamish wrote:
> Richard Chirgwin wrote:
>
>> ... Having given up on the Australian Communications & Media Authority
>> DEM because it won't import into Grass-GIS (there seems to be some
>> fiddling to keep the DEM hidden behind a silly Windows app),
>>

> with the exact file size, expected rows & columns, and possibly byte info
> and geographic extent known about it we still might be able to give some
> guesses about how to get around that. Or is it known for sure that they've
> taken steps to encrypt it?

I will, perhaps, contact you offlist on that angle...
>> I'm turning to other DEMs.
>>
>> The NASA SRTM seems as if it would suit my purposes, except that using
>> r.in.srtm I get a lovely image with no elevation data. So r.what comes
>> up with latitude, longitude, and null, eg:
>> 150 | -34 | | *
>>

> It probably worked, you just need to run g.region.
>
> I just tried:
> wget ftp://e0srp01u.ecs.nasa.gov/srtm/version2/SRTM3/Australia/S34E150.hgt.zip

Eeek. Yes, you're right, I forgot to run g.region at the end of the
import. All is fine, and excuse the coming snip...

[snip]
> Another way is get the data from Geoscience Australia's WMS server,
> if you look in the capabilities XML file you will see that geotiff is conspicuously missing from the available image formats:
>  http://www.ga.gov.au/wms/getmap?dataset=national&request=capabilities
>
> g.region n= s= w= e= res=...
> r.in.wms -l -g mapserv="http://www.ga.gov.au/wms/getmap?dataset=national&"
>
> I imagine GA are much more GIS friendly than the media censors.

However, you may recall that the DEMs that GA served up weren't true
DEMs - from an earlier conversation:
> if you look in the capabilities XML file you will see that geotiff is conspicuously missing from the available image formats:
>  http://www.ga.gov.au/wms/getmap?dataset=national&request=capabilities

(as you remarked to me back in April)

Cheers and thanks for tolerating the dummy...

Richard C