[GRASS-user] Problem converting sites and vectors

Kurt Springs ferret_bard at mac.com
Fri Sep 19 08:31:37 EDT 2008

Hi folks

I have a small problem.  I am running GRASS 6.3 on OS X 10.5.5.  When
I started with these maps I was use GRASS 5.0.2.  As things evolved I
converted them over.  Now one map set is giving me grief.  My sites
and some vectors haven't been displaying on this map.  I tried
reconverting my sites to point vectors and got:

v.in.sites input=wedge_tombs.labled at PERMANENT output=wedgetomb8
Default database is not set
Input format: dimension: 2   strings: 1   FP:0

One problem vector area gave this:

v.convert input=map8_lake at PERMANENT output=Lake8 endian=big --
overwrite --quiet
Vector map <Lake8> already exists and will be overwritten

All my other maps are fine.  There were points when I was trying to
attach a database to the maps, without success.  So, I am not sure if
I did anything inadvertently or not.  I just want to fix these so they
work again.

Also, if this will help diagnose the problem, the point vector file in
the misbehaving map set have the following files:

coor
head
hist

While the ones that are working have:

cidx
coor
dbln
head
hist
topo

I am planning to use these maps in my ph.d dissertation, and wold like
all of them working.

Can anyone tell me what is happening and more importantly how to fix it.

Kurt D Springs