[GRASS-user] Grass Videos for FOSS4G

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Sat Sep 20 05:52:41 EDT 2008

On Fri, 19 Sep 2008, Hamish wrote:

> Tim Bowden wrote:
>> I'm looking for content for the OSGeo booth at FOSS4G.
>> Are there any grass videos anyone can point me to that I could
>> run along with other content I have?
>
> there is of course the classic William Shatner narrated promo:
> http://mpa.itc.it/markus/grass_movie_video_CERL/grass_movie_CERL_1987.mov
>
> "The GRASS Story [14 minutes, USACERL, 1987] The U.S. Army Corps of
> Engineers Construction Engineering Research Laboratory produced this
> video to explain basic concepts and potential applications of geographic
> information systems to land managers at Army installations." 61mb
>
> 21 years later the startup screen is much the same, although a bit less
> CRT green. ;) The comment at the site says there is little GRASS content
> which delayed me from watching it. I don't think that's true.

I agree - fascinating and astonishingly relevant I thought. I don't think
I've watched through it all before. Enjoyed the clip of d.3d, and the
graph of projected hardware costs into the early 90s! Particularly
interesting for me though was the terminology used. He refers a lot to
"layers" being overlaid to form a map, and lots of different layers within
a "mapbase" as lots of different little parts of a map that can be
combined in different ways to form a new map. Much like the terminology
Martin was suggesting we start using for GRASS 7...

Paul