[GRASS-user] grass gis

Nikos Alexandris nikos.alexandris at felis.uni-freiburg.de
Tue Sep 23 16:41:46 EDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-09-24 at 02:26 +0600, Zahid Parvez wrote:
> Sir
>
> I have successfully installed GRASS GIS from the link
> "http://grass.osgeo.org/grass63/binary/mswindows/"  software in my PC.
> I is installed in  " c:\ GRASS " folder.
>
> I have installed Spearfish and northDakoda data in    "GIS DataBase"
> folder.
>

> Now I wonder how can I start my learning.Would you please give me
> advice on  a way to start
>
> learning the soft systematically and effectively.
>

> My heartiest gratitude for your kind help.
>

> Sincerely Yours
>
> Md. Zahid Parvez
> M.S.C student
> Bangladesh Engineering University(B.U.E.T)
> Dhaka,Bangladesh

Hi Zahid.

First take some time reading http://grass.osgeo.org/intro/firsttime.php
in the official GRASS-GIS web page.

Then try to play around with the data you already have or take a look at
http://grass.osgeo.org/gdp/tutorials.php where several tutorials give
you a starting point.

A nice introduction to GRASS' "structure" can be found in the GRASS
manual http://grass.osgeo.org/grass64/manuals/html64_user/helptext.html.
You can learn a lot about what you can do with GRASS by reading (again
in the manual) the raster processing and vector processing sections:
http://grass.osgeo.org/grass64/manuals/html64_user/rasterintro.html
http://grass.osgeo.org/grass64/manuals/html64_user/vectorintro.html

Post in the list if you have any kind of difficulties. But it's a good
idea to search for an answer that has been already given in this lists
archive (look here for links
http://grass.osgeo.org/community/support.php).

Hope you like the GRASS-GIS experience.

Greetings, Nikos