[GRASS-user] Precipitation color table?

Luigi Ponti lponti at infinito.it
Tue Sep 23 17:50:56 EDT 2008

Dear Markus,

I just ran into this page
http://geography.uoregon.edu/datagraphics/color_scales.htm

that includes, among others, precipitation color tables. I don't know if
that can be useful.

The page of this Lab also provides an interesting paper titled "End of
the Rainbow" which elaborates on why one should not use continuously
varying color schemes (and absolutely no rainbow color table). The way
to go seems to be banded color schemes -- a color scheme with equally
sized bands of constant color [1].

As I side note I was wondering how to draw such a color scheme (i.e.
with equally sized bands of constant color) in GRASS.

Kind regards,

Luigi

[1] Borland D, Taylor II RM (2007) Rainbow color map (still) considered
harmful. IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications, 27, 14-17.