[GRASS-user] Second try, run grass scripts as batch, process in Windows

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Thu Sep 25 21:38:36 EDT 2008

Luigi Ponti wrote:

> > I've started re-writing the scripts in 7.0 in Python. For now, I've
> > left the Bourne-shell versions in place so that people can compare the
> > two versions for testing purposes.
>
> That's great! Is there already some Python version available?

So far, I've replaced 16 of the 62 shell scripts in the scripts
directory. The scripts themselves currently only exist in 7.0,
although the utility module (lib/python/grass.py) is also in 6.4. In
most cases, there's no particular reason why the scripts can't be used
with older versions of GRASS.

I also count another 67 shell scripts outside of the scripts
directory. Some of those are actually Tcl/Tk scripts, some are only
used during compilation, some are test scripts, etc, but some of them
will need to be converted in order to be able to run WinGRASS without
MSys. AFAICT, there are around 25-30 such scripts.

Compilation will continue to require a Bourne shell, as that's what
make uses.