[GRASS-user] Snapping Points to Nodes along Lines

Ryan R. Rosario uclamathguy at gmail.com
Sun Sep 28 19:44:13 EDT 2008

I have one vector map consisting of 30831 points, and another consisting of a
road network. I have used the v.distance function followed by v.clean to
connect each point to the nearest road. I used the errors from v.clean to
obtain the intersections: basically, each point's projection onto a road.

#v.distance -p from=incidents to=roads out=connect upload=dist column=dist
#v.patch roads,connect,points out=patched
#v.clean patched output=patched_clean err=intersections tool=break,snap

The problem is, the error layer (intersections) only contains 6715 points
but for my next step I need to have the same number of intersections as data
points.

(In the next step, I want to take this layer of intersections (points) and
locate the nearest point in another layer along a road, so I need to have
the same number of intersections as I have data points)

What am I misunderstanding about the v.clean process? Is there some way I
can fix this?