[GRASS-user] Re: add ons i.evapo.potrad, senay

Yann Chemin yann.chemin at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 05:43:35 EDT 2008

Dear Niels,

r.albedo is now i.albedo,  few days back it has been moved from
AddonsSVN to mainSVN of GRASS.

I.evapo.potrad is the potential evapotranspiration from incoming sun
radiation, meaning non-water stressed ET. It would be useless in areas
where there is any water stress like a desert.

i.evapo.SENAY refers to a simple water stress estimation based on
temperature from satellite. This has proven useful by Senay (2007)
while mapping the whole of Afghanistan at once. We found limitations
when dealing with small areas.

i.eb.evapfr is certainly going to push you further into water stress
sensitivity anaylsis, but for that you'll need to use many GIPE
modules, this is why there is a script_generator/ in GIPE directory,
it will automatize the set up of all of the modules function into an
easy script to perform several evapotranspiration mapping under
various water stress estimation systems (various models are in GIPE:
i.eb.h_SEBAL95/01, i.eb.h_iter, etc...). However, the script generator
is not updated to the latest changes I had to make to integrate those
GIPE modules into the main GRASS SVN. So you'll need to run the script
generator, and then run the lines one by one to check the changes
according to your set up. Once the GIPE modules are integrated into
main GRASS, I'll update the script_generator.

i.dn2full.l5/7 generates top of atmosphere radiative temperature. You
will still need to pull out a correction to get the radiative
temperature corrected to skin surface temperature. In very clear and
dry conditions, there should be very less correction to make.

Transmissivity of the atmosphere is an efficiency factor [0-1] that
expresses the loss of radiation from 100% arriving at top of
atmosphere. Single-way transmissivity, is a one-way ticket either from
top of atmosphere to the skin surface of the Earth or from the skin
surface of the Earth to the Top of Atmosphere. Try 0.7 for a start if
you do not have cloudiness indices or Angstrom equation
parameterization locally.

Cheers,
Yann

Yann Chemin