[GRASS-user] Off Topic: Importing GRASS tiffs to GMT

John Stevenson john.stevenson at manchester.ac.uk
Tue Apr 7 05:58:47 EDT 2009

Hamish wrote:
>> Eric wrote:
>>
>>> I'll post here before checking on the GMT list;
>>> hopefully I can get some answers from a GRASS/GMT guru...
>>>

> Moritz wrote:
>
>> I can't help you on your precise questions, but have you seen
>> Dylan's article:
>> http://casoilresource.lawr.ucdavis.edu/drupal/node/561
>> (see link to pdf on that page) ?
>>

> and of course the GRASS Wiki:
>   http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/GMT
>
> (which of course forever needs updating)
>

> Hamish

By a tiff, do you mean a georeferenced map? I've plotted aerial photos
that I rectified in GRASS using the following to export the RGB bands:

r.mapcalc "image.red=r#image; image.green=g#image; image.blue=b#image"
r.out.bin -h input=image.red output=image.red.grd
r.out.bin -h input=image.green output=image.green.grd
r.out.bin -h input=image.blue output=image.blue.grd

Followed by:

grdimage image.red.grd image.green.grd image.blue.grd -J -R -B ...etc.

I've just put the same workflow onto the wiki.  I've also used r.his to
make coloured shaded relief maps, and plotted them in GMT using the same
method.  I don't think that it is the optimal method, but at least it
preserved my colour rules.

Cheers

John

--