[GRASS-user] exporting areas to shapefiles without filling holes

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 9 04:38:18 EDT 2009

> Hamish wrote:
> > I've got a grass vector map containing some areas with holes.
> > after exporting with 'v.out.ogr type=area' to a shapefile, when I load
> > the shp file into QGIS 0.8.1 I see that all the holes have been filled
> > in.
> > what am I doing wrong?

Markus Metz:
> Maybe use v.out.ogr -c?

yup, that's it. I'd focused on the shapefile example in the man page
and totally missed the blinking red letters at the top:

<h2>NOTES</h2>

To export areas with holes into, e.g., a Shapefile, while keeping the
holes as holes, the flag <em>-c</em> has to be used.

(example now updated in svn to use the flag)

Hamish