[GRASS-user] [SOLVED] was Moving GISBASE box2box

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 9 08:39:32 EDT 2009

Cassiel wrote:
> Moving from the old machine on the removable drive and from
> the latter to the newer machine changed the case of the VAR
> and WIND file inside the location dirs. What sounds very
> strange to me is why only those two files plus a MYNAME
> one...
Moritz:
> Did you have other upper-case names which remained upper-case ?
>
> Maybe an issue with a fat filesystem on the removable drive ?

Cassiel:
> Yes, DEFAULT_WIND, PROJ_INFO, PROJ_UNITS remained upper
> case while (I checked the rest of locations) all wind and
> var files were converted to lower case.
>
> The removable drive is fat32 and file permissions are all
> 755 on the older linux box...

the above 3 don't fit into DOS's 8.3 filename restriction, so
all get stored as PROJ_I~1 etc. with the real name stored
elsewhere. VAR and WIND are less then 8 letters so just get
stored as normal DOS names, which are case insensitive. If you
look in the man page for 'mount' I think you will find a few
options (-o ...) for choosing how to deal with uppercase letters
while visiting fat-land.

Hamish