[GRASS-user] Multiple to one question

Adam Dershowitz, Ph.D., P.E. adershowitz at exponent.com
Tue Apr 14 12:38:32 EDT 2009

On Apr 14, 2009, at 4:06 AM, Moritz Lennert wrote:

> On 14/04/09 08:37, Vincent Bain wrote:
>> Hello Adam,
>> maybe another solution in this case would be a set of 2 tables :
>> * one linking to the geometry, that is containing nothing but cat
>> values,
>> * another one, containing a cat column (related to the "geometric"
>> table) and different data columns corresponding to your sampling.
>
> I think that if all you want is calculate some means or similar
> across dates and then display the results, Vincent's solution is the
> easiest.
>
> But you could also use layers [1]:
>
> layer 1 = January round of sampling
> layer 2 = February round of sampling
> etc.
>
> You would have to give each point a category value in each layer (cf
> v.category) and then either create separate tables for each period
> linking each to one of the layers or at least create some obvious
> cat values (i.e. 100s for January, 200s for February, etc) and link
> on single table to all the layers, but with different cat values in
> each layer.
>

> Moritz
>
> [1] See "Vector object categories and attribute management" on http://grass.osgeo.org/grass64/manuals/html64_user/vectorintro.html
>  for a quick introduction

Thanks,

But, the problem with both of these approaches, columns, and layers,
(Vincent or Moritz version) is that I don't have consistent times for
each site.  So, at site A I might have 5 samples, once a month and at
site B I have 2 samples, one each year, and site C I have a few spread
over a few years.
So both of those approaches essentially need to have a column, or
layer, for each possible time of sampling.  But that is not really
appropriate for the quasi-random times of the samples.