[GRASS-user] traveling salesman problem in air

Dylan Beaudette debeaudette at ucdavis.edu
Wed Apr 15 13:56:35 EDT 2009

On Wednesday 15 April 2009, Vincent Bain wrote:
> Don't know if it makes sense, but I would try v.delaunay to build a net
> between closest centroids (given that each centroid is roughtly centered
> on its area).
>
> Vincent

That seems like a good judgement call, considering that the resulting network
of connecting every centroid could become very large.

This problem reminded me of a similar task, where we wanted to visit data
loggers in the field and were not constrained to any existing 'network'. I
found that a cost-surface (in this case accumulated slope gradient) gave us a
nice constraint on how to use a simple network derived from v.delaunay. Some
notes on that operation here:

http://casoilresource.lawr.ucdavis.edu/drupal/node/698

Cheers,
Dylan