[GRASS-user] Re: [GRASS-stats] r.texture and MASK

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Sat Apr 18 16:12:15 EDT 2009

Nikos Alexandris wrote:

> ---%<------
> > the MASK is supposed to prevent any program to
> > process the null part of the raster.
> ---%<------
>
> Agus, I recall that some modules do _not_ respect the MASK. You could
> find more in grass-user ML archive. And there was a reason for that
> being so. Not sure though anymore. The dev's know that for sure :-p

MASK forces specific cells of any input raster to be null. How a
module treats null cells depends upon the module.

A few modules specifically ignore the mask:

imagery/i.rectify
ps/ps.map
raster/r.basins.fill
raster/r.buffer
raster/r.category
raster/r.compress
raster/r.describe
raster/r.li/r.li.daemon
raster/r.null
raster/r.random.cells
raster/r.random.surface
raster/r.recode
raster/r.rescale
raster/r.slope.aspect
raster/r.support
raster/r.support.stats
raster/r.surf.contour
raster/r.surf.idw
raster/r.surf.idw2
raster/r.watershed/ram
raster/r.watershed/seg

This list seems rather long to me. I can understand why e.g. r.null
ignores the mask, but other cases (e.g. r.slope.aspect) appear to be
bogus (possibly people adding hacks for their own personal use cases
then committing said hacks).