[GRASS-user] Working with large images

Nikos Alexandris nikos.alexandris at felis.uni-freiburg.de
Sat Apr 25 16:28:33 EDT 2009

On Sat, 2009-04-25 at 23:07 +0300, Ned Horning wrote:
> Hi -
>
> I am trying to load a large (8 GB) tiff image into GRASS 6.4 RC4 and I
> get an error message saying that BigTIFF is not support by this version
> of GDAL and libtiff. Is there a way to read BigTIFF files using GRASS?

Hi Ned!

I assume you compile(d) from source. You need to ensure that gdal is
compiled with BigTIFF support.

---%<--- from [1] ---%<---
BigTIFF is a TIFF variant which can contain more than 4GiB of data (size
of classic TIFF is limited by that value). This option is available if
GDAL is built with libtiff library version 4.0 or higher (which is the
case of the internal libtiff version from GDAL >= 1.5.0). The default is
IF_NEEDED. (IF_NEEDED and IF_SAFER are available from GDAL 1.6.0).

It is supported if you use "--with-libtiff=internal" in your
configuration script. Check also [2].

Or did you install binaries from the Ubuntu repo's?
Cheers, Nikos
---

[1] http://www.gdal.org/frmt_gtiff.html
[2] http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/TIFF