[GRASS-user] Working with large images

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Sun Apr 26 10:49:07 EDT 2009

On 26/04/09 15:53, Ned Horning wrote:
> Moritz,
>
> When I run gdalinfo I get the following error: "ERROR 4: This is a
> BigTIFF file. BigTIFF is not support by this version of GDAL and libtiff"

Well, then maybe the libtiff version used does not support BigTIFF. No
expert on that. I guess that your best bet would be to recompile GDAL
yourself using with-libtiff=internal.

On Ubuntu compiling is rather easy:

0) apt-get install build-essential fakeroot
1) apt-get build-dep gdal #to install all the packages necessary for
compilation
2) mkdir gdal_src; cd gdal_src
3) apt-get source gdal # to download the source code + Ubuntu patches
4) cd into the source code directory created by 3)
5) edit debian/rules and add the line with-libtiff=internal to the
configure parameters (long list of similar parameters) - don't forget
the \ at the end
6) run 'fakeroot dpkg-buildpackage'
7) cd ..
8) sudo dpkg -i *.deb