[GRASS-user] installing grass trunk to jaunty

Nikos Alexandris nikos.alexandris at felis.uni-freiburg.de
Wed Apr 29 20:33:30 EDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-04-29 at 17:28 -0700, Hamish wrote:
> maning sambale wrote:
> > > Compiling from source following:
> > >
> > > http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/Compile_and_Install#Ubuntu
> > >
> > > I am somehow stuck here:
> > > ./configure --enable-gpl --enable-libvorbis
> > --enable-libtheora \
> > >            --enable-liba52 --enable-libdc1394
> > --enable-libgsm \
> > >            --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libfaad
> > --enable-libfaac \
> > >            --enable-libxvid --enable-pthreads
> > --enable-libx264 \
> > >            --enable-shared
> > >
> > > Unknown option "--enable-liba52".
> > > See ./configure --help for available options.
>
> those are instructions for building FFMPEG from source, not GRASS.
> I don't know why the wiki page bothers with that, why not just
> "apt-get install ffmpeg libavcodec-dev" etc?

These isntructions are not valid anymore. Back then, for Ubuntu 7.10,
the ffmpeg packages available from the repositories were not enough or
did not work (don't remember exactly). I' ve found notes on how to get
ffmpeg from source-code and it worked  (support for FFMPEG: Yes).

Note that currently (=Jaunty) ffmpeg seems to be broken(!?) again or I
am missing a package which I can't trace (looked using apt-file find).

Cheers, Nikos