[GRASS-user] Geodatabase and GRASS GIS - how to get the data out of a geodatabase

Dylan Beaudette dylan.beaudette at gmail.com
Sun Aug 9 11:33:06 EDT 2009

I have used 'mdbtools' in the past for this type of operation.
However, this will only extract attribute data-- not geometry data. I
think that you will need a windows build of GDAL/ORG to accomplish
that. Check the GDAL page.

Here are some examples of using the mdbtools package:
http://casoilresource.lawr.ucdavis.edu/drupal/node/462

Cheers,
Dylan

On Sun, Aug 9, 2009 at 8:19 AM, William
Kyngesburye<woklist at kyngchaos.com> wrote:
> Markus,
>
> I was trying to get mdbtools working on OSX this weekend (yet another
> attempt), and thought your R method might be an alternative.  But that also
> requires mdb-tools - that's where mdb-tables tool is found.
>
> Agustin: If I remember right, you're on OSX?  If so, you are out of luck, I
> have yet to find or compile a working MDB library for OSX.
>
> On Aug 9, 2009, at 9:45 AM, Agustin Diez Castillo wrote:
>
>> I've tried the R solution w/o success, see below

>>> I see two ways:
>>>
>>> 1) via unixODBC
>>> For Linux, you need "unixODBC" to be installed (your preferred
>>> distribution
>>> most likely contains this package). As done, get also the MDB Tools,
>>> compile it with unixodbc support enabled if not already done.
>>> Then follow instructions at http://www.gdal.org/ogr/drv_pgeo.html
>>>
>>> 2) via R

>>> install.packages('Hmisc', dependencies=TRUE)