[GRASS-user] troubles with pgAdmin ver 1.8.2

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Wed Aug 12 16:57:49 EDT 2009

Matteo Toro wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> i'm trying to use the DBMS pgAdminIII ver 1.8.2, but i cannot connect to any server...
> i'm really wondering about what should be inserted in the New Server registration  form...(name, host , port...). I tried smthing but it answers me ident authentication failed, and the tip is to edit the pg_hba.conf file with an entry that looks like: "host all all 192.168.0.0/24 md5". Is this ip address the right one for any machine, or should i find mine???
> I'm running it under linux 8.04, and i would like to know how can i add a new server.
>
> Thanks a lot

1st this is probably a better question to ask on a postgres, or ubuntu
mailing list.
2nd, I've never gotten ident to work on my ubuntu systems for some
reason, I work around that by creating users in the database, and
specifying a specific username that is not a system user when using pgadmin.

The ip address you listed is actually a range, the /24 indicates that
any ip on that subnet so 192.168.x.x should work I think.
md5 method assumes you've already created a user in the database.

Read through
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/static/client-authentication.html
You should find an answer there.
Please note this is a postgres server config issue not a PgAdmin issue.

Alex