[GRASS-user] Low map display resolution in default 6.4 ?

Nikos Alexandris nikos.alexandris at felis.uni-freiburg.de
Fri Aug 14 16:17:31 EDT 2009

Felix Schalck:
> Since I compiled latest 6.4RC5 Grass version, I experienced
> significative speed gain when displaying DEM raster levels - at the
> expense of the displayed resolution: the whole thing just looks
> "soappy", and keeps getting worse once you zoom in. With my previous
> version (6.23), the same raster display opreration (d.rast) took
> forever, but I had the possibility to control data errors at the
> finest level. So surely there must be an option I don't know yet to
> increase the resolution of the Map display windows; it would be very
> nice if somebody could explain me how it works.

Hi Felix!

What is the resolution of your DEM?
Did you set it using "g.region"?
Are you interested in (only) displaying or (in addition in) processing
your DEM at high-resolution?

.

If you are new in GRASS-GIS then its worthy to read the intro(s) [1][2].
Perhaps you are looking info on how to set the resolution which is done
with the module "g.region"[3]. ( Note that "g.region" != "r.region" )

Apologies if you are familiar with all this, Nikos
---

[1] http://grass.osgeo.org/grass64/manuals/html64_user/helptext.html
[2] http://grass.osgeo.org/grass64/manuals/html64_user/rasterintro.html
[3] http://grass.osgeo.org/grass64/manuals/html64_user/g.region.html