[GRASS-user] Low map display resolution in default 6.4 ?

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Mon Aug 17 03:40:09 EDT 2009

On 16/08/09 21:48, Felix Schalck wrote:
> After some research, I figured out that:
>
> 1) Resolution is not really the problem, since I added a shadings
> layer which shows the same impressive details level than I used to
> have in old 6.23. It is really a display question.
>
> 2) Perhaps it is the graphic driver. I did not yet found the
> ./configure summary of the default ubuntu GRASS .deb, but I really
> doubt that it is built against latest proprietary nvidia 64bits OpenGL
> libs - which I did in my own compilation of 6.4RC5. Fact is that
> display has changed for all GRASS operations (not only d.rast), and
> even though the new display doesn't LOOK very sharp, the levels of
> details is just the same, but with an impressive gain in speed.
>
> What do you think ?

What do you use to display you maps ? If you use the GUI, note that the
GUI does not necessarily display in the current working resolution, but
often downgrades resolution for display in order to make it faster.
However, you can constrain the display to your computational region's
resolution.

You should see no difference in display if you use x-monitors (i.e.
launched with d.mon. My memories are a bit weak of that time (long ago),
but I think that the 6.2 GUI still used x-monitors for display. This has
changed since.

Moritz