[GRASS-user] Re: user/group permissions for accessing data on mounted drive

Tim Michelsen timmichelsen at gmx-topmail.de
Mon Aug 17 15:26:48 EDT 2009

>> What is the best way to handle this?
>
> Use a filesystem which was designed for a multi-user OS.

> It could, but that replaces one problem (using FAT filesystems on
> Unix) with another (users accidentally trashing other users' mapsets).
>
>> See the following use case:
>> A desktop/notebook used by a group of people. Of course, these collegues
>> would not work on this machine simultaniously but log in at different
>> times with different user names.
>>
>> Any solutions?
>
> The ideal solution is to skip the ownership check on filesystems which
> don't have any concept of ownership. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how
> to detect that.
In python os module I found something that may be used:
http://docs.python.org/library/os.html?highlight=filesystem#os.fstatvfs
http://docs.python.org/library/statvfs.html?highlight=filesystem

Thanks for clarifiying this. Can this be added to the docs? I have seen
other forums wher people had these questions.

Best,
Timmie