[GRASS-user] NVIZ use in wxpython GRASS6.4

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Wed Dec 2 11:49:22 EST 2009

Franz,

Currently, the wxPython digitizer and integrated wxPython 3D display
does not work in Windows due to issues in compiling the C++ code,
swig.python, and python in a windows environment. Volunteers are
needed to help the development team solve these issues.

Alternatively you can use the digitizer and 3D module NVIZ in TclTk
from Windows. I'm not sure about launching the TclTk digitizer, but to
launch NVIZ, you must do it from the msys command line due to a
problem running scripts in Windows. To start it, you simply need to
type...

nviz elevation=map[,map,map,...] [color=map[,map,map,...]]

where "map" is a raster map that you want to visualize and optionally
use for coloring the visualization.

Here is the full syntax

  nviz [-qkxv] [elevation=name[,name,...]] [color=string[,string,...]]
    [vector=string[,string,...]] [points=string[,string,...]]
    [volume=string[,string,...]] [path=string] [script=string]
    [state=string] [--verbose] [--quiet]

Flags:
   -q   Quickstart - Do not load any data
   -k   Exit after completing script launched from the command line
   -x   Start in Demo mode (skip the "please wait" message)
   -v   Verbose module output
  --v   Verbose module output
  --q   Quiet module output

Parameters:
   elevation   Name of raster map(s) for Elevation
       color   Name of raster map(s) for Color
      vector   Name of vector lines/areas overlay map(s)
      points   Name of vector points overlay file(s)
      volume   Name of existing 3d raster map
        path   Set alternative panel path
      script   Execute script file at startup
       state   Load previously saved state file

You can also type...

nviz -q

to launch it and then add maps once it is open.

I think that the nviz launch and related script running issue is
relatively easy to solve, but needs some people who know windows to
work on it.

Michael
C. Michael Barton
Arizona State University