[GRASS-user] Converting from Lat/Long to Projection -- NOT SOLVED

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Thu Dec 3 14:23:05 EST 2009

Rich Shepard wrote:

> > 1. The default input format has X (easting) followed by Y (northing).
> > You need to use the -r switch if the northing comes first.
> >
> > 2. In the absence of a trailing E or W, positive eastings are east of
> > the prime meridian. You need either a leading "-" or a trailing "W"
> > for eastings in the western hemisphere.
>
> Glynn,
>
>    There's another discrepancy in the man page I should point out for
> posterity: the syntax summary's last item. Notice:
>
> SYNOPSIS
>         cs2cs [ -eEfIlrstvwW [ args ] ] [ +opts[=arg] ]
>               [ +to [+opts[=arg]] ] file[s]
>
>    This indicates that one can use the command in a file (a shell script).
> But, that does not work; it just sits there with no response. Apparently,
> the command runs only from the command line.

The "... file[s]" means that it you can specify the names of input
files as arguments.

There's no inherent reason why cs2cs won't work in a script, but the
cs2cs manpage won't explain any particular scripting language; those
have their own manpages.

In any case, cs2cs isn't part of GRASS, but of PROJ:

	http://trac.osgeo.org/proj/

PROJ is required by GRASS, so most of the developers (and experienced
users) have some familiarity with it, but we aren't in a position to
make changes.