[GRASS-user] grass70 and display monitor

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Fri Dec 4 09:23:12 EST 2009

Roy,

I guess you haven't been following quite all of this discussion.

You can still run all module commands in GRASS from any terminal. You
can TYPE d* commands into the command line interface of the GUI and
have the resulting maps displayed in the GUI display canvas. You can
also type the d.* commands into any xterminal and have grass maps
saved as graphic files to view. These can be viewed automatically with
free image viewers (like d.mon did) as Glynn has shown. The old,
primitive, INTERACTIVE xterminal behavior is all that has been
dropped. For interactive use, there is a much more sophisticated
interface that exists now--that is, you can do a lot more interaction
than you could do before.

Besides simply not being GRASS 4 or 5 (which are still available to be
run), what functionality are you missing?

Michael