[GRASS-user] grass70 and display monitor

Jan Hartmann j.l.h.hartmann at uva.nl
Sat Dec 5 05:14:54 EST 2009

I very much agree with Markus. The main point is that a command line
interface is *much* faster than a GUI, once you have learned to use it.
This can take a long time to learn (take the VIM editor for example),
and for most people that is simply not worth it. When  you "have it in
your fingers" however, it really is much more efficient. I still use
Grass54 for digitizing, even if I have to convert the vector maps into
the new format, because digitizing, the most labour-intensive job there
is in GIS, gets done much more efficiently with the left hand using the
keyboard, and the right hand using the mouse. That program has
disappeared, but Markus's example illustrates perfectly the case for the
actual version of GRASS.

I understand that programmers  have limited time and resources, and I
certainly agree that these should be spent on the GUI: it's important
for many more people than the bunch of old-hand command line hackers. I
*would* plead however to leave as much of the old functionality in place
as possible. If I understand Glynn's posting on this subject correctly
however, this will be very difficult, as the Vask library has been
removed (why?), and all mouse interaction has been dropped from the
display commands.

If that is too much trouble, I would be perfectly happy to use older
versions of GRASS for dedicated purposes, provided I could use the same
mapsets. Copying and converting  maps between different versions if the
program is a major source of errors, some of them very insidious. Would
that be an alternative for retaining old functionality: reading directly
from old-style databases?

Jan