[GRASS-user] grass70 and display monitor

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Sat Dec 5 10:48:13 EST 2009

On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 10:27 AM, Hamish <hamish_b at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Markus wrote:
>>  I type in bash CTRL-R and a fraction of what I remember of
>> the name, then maybe another few CTRL-R to cycle to the right
>> one. Enter and I see it.
>
> fwiw I find ^r a bit confusing to use. (user ignorance of the sublties
> I'm sure..)

I am working on many different remote systems, so I try to learn
the necessary minimum rather than focusing on a personal
optimization (sure I agree that that is handy if you work on
your only one or a few machines).

> for one thing I'd consider running that tunneled over ssh+X to a remote
> number cruncher, but not a real GUI. a while ago while traveling and
> only a borrowed win2k + puTTY to work with I rigged up a system where
> the png driver wrote the display image across to a apache public dir
> which I could reload in the web browser. not ideal, but it worked.

Right, working over ssh in GRASS is very common for me (70% of
overall time, often even over unstable connections). So I learned to
love "screen" to not crash the GRASS session. The d.* approach
consumes little resources only, that's why I like it so much...

Will later comment more on a previous mail of Michael.

Markus