[GRASS-user] Problem with grib support for GRASS 6.4

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Mon Dec 7 08:20:33 EST 2009

On Mon, Dec 07, 2009 at 07:57:31AM -0500, Thomas Adams wrote:
> Markus & Hamish,
>
> is also an older GRASS installation (6.2.2) on all machines in
> /usr/local, which is built on version 1.4.x of gdal. Even though
> when building GRASS using ./configure, the older gdal libraries were
> being used by my new install of GRASS 6.4 and r.in.gdal. So, I
> suppose the older version of gdal 1.4.x did not support GRIB.
>
> I'm still confused why the older gdal libs were being used rather
> than my newer vesion. Is this a LD_LIBRARY_PATH issue or what? To

If the older and newer gdal libraries share the same soname, (which
seems to be the case, libgdal.so.1)  what will determine the order
of library loading at runtime is the order of the dynamic loader.
Explicitly setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH should certainly allow to search
first in some directory rather than another, though.

With a library like gdal, in fact, the soname doesn't really tell
much about the capabilities of the library, since it depends a lot
on the available formats and it cannot be in the ABI.

--
Pat