[GRASS-user] Re: CYGWIN

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Mon Dec 7 13:42:00 EST 2009

Luigi Ponti wrote:

> This is likely naive and/or just out of ignorance, but I am not sure
> whether there is a chance to get GRASS 6.4 running on Cygwin should I be
> able to compile it from source on my Cygwin installation. Sorry in
> advance if this is nonsense.

All I know is that the binaries which I compiled work fine on my
Windows XP system.

If you compile from source, even if you have problems with the
resulting binaries, it will be easier to debug such problems with
debug info.

The Cygwin binaries on the GRASS website have been stripped, as
unstripped binaries are over twice as large, which is inconvenient
both for me and for anyone downloading them.

FWIW, I configured with:

./configure
 --with-includes=/usr/local/include
 --with-libs=/usr/local/lib
 --with-proj-share=/usr/share/proj
 --with-cxx
 --with-freetype
 --with-opengl
 --with-readline
 --with-nls
 --without-odbc
 --with-cairo
 --with-sqlite
 --with-blas
 --with-lapack
 --with-postgres
 --with-cairo-includes=/usr/include/cairo
 '--with-cairo-ldflags=-lcairo -lX11'
 --with-freetype-includes=/usr/include/freetype2
 --with-python
 --with-motif
 --with-glw

[I need /usr/local/{include,lib} for GDAL and Tcl/Tk.]

For a basic GRASS installation, most of the above --with-* switches
aren't needed. As I was building a package for distribution, I
included every option which I could get to work.