[GRASS-user] Re: i.atcorr with MSS band 5,6,7

Jonathan Greenberg greenberg at ucdavis.edu
Mon Dec 7 19:44:01 EST 2009

I'm curious -- why do you need to atmospherically correct MSS?  About
95% of RS applications do not benefit from atmospheric correction -- the
ones that do are spectral mixture type analyses (where you are using
endmembers, and with a 4-band system this isn't going to be very
useful), and if the atmo correction is perfect (which it won't be),
doing change detection or "recycling" classification rules.  If you are
planning on just doing classification on the one image, you really don't
need to do atmospheric correction.  Just wanted to drop this question in
the mix, as I've seen many a person go down the long, arduous task of
atmospherically correcting imagery only to find out it isn't helpful.

--j

Marco Tuckner wrote:
> Dear list,
>

>>> and possibly the most difficult, is to find
>>> the spectral response curves for the RBV and MSS sensors aboard Landsat 1.
>>>
>> Does anyone have an idea where I can find these response curves?
>> Where are the current pre-defined band configurations from?
>>
> Sorry, for pushing again on this.
> But may someone give me a hint which parameters I need to look for?
>
> How high is the inaccuracy, if I just use the corresponding
> pre-definitions for MSS of Landsat 5 (i.e. preset 31-34)?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Marco

Jonathan A. Greenberg, PhD
Postdoctoral Scholar
Center for Spatial Technologies and Remote Sensing (CSTARS)
University of California, Davis
One Shields Avenue
The Barn, Room 250N
Davis, CA 95616