[GRASS-user] Re: CYGWIN

Luigi Ponti lponti at infinito.it
Mon Dec 14 11:03:38 EST 2009

On 10/12/2009 23:29, Glynn Clements wrote:

>>> All I know is that the binaries which I compiled work fine on my
>>> Windows XP system.
>>>

>> Update: you are right -- it works on XP, but I am on Windows 7.
>> While installing on Cygwin the packages required to compile GRASS, it
>> occurred to me I had read on Cygwin website that Windows 7 would have
>> been supported starting next major version 1.7 (see http://cygwin.com/).
>> However, 1.7 is in beta testing and available to install, which I did.
>> Things work much better, and now GRASS 6.4.0RC5 starts up fine with
>> tcltk gui.
>>
>> First problem I encountered next is with the dbf driver. The output of
>> /db.connect -p/ seems ok:
>>

>> But when I do /db.test test1/ errors arise:
>>

> [...]
>
> My guess is that this is a problem with Cygwin and Windows 7.

I have eventually reverted back to GRASS 6.3.0 for now, after fixing
some missing dll's. I am not sure what is wrong with 6.4 vs 6.3 but I
need a functional GRASS/Cygwin version to run some bash scripts while I
port them to Phython.

Actually, my bash GRASS scripts call a number of Perl scripts for text
processing purposes (tweaking ascii georeferenced files to be fed to
v.in.ascii, creating color rules on the fly, writing HTML files to
summarize output, and other little tasks that I found convenient to code
in Perl given my limited programming experience and the huge amount of
Perl info and examples available on the web). Therefore, I was thinking
to do text processing and other stuff using Python but this will require
a bit more than simply implementing a series of grass commands (i.e.
learning some Python), that is why I need the Cygwin version meanwhile.

Also, is it even possible to do Python scripting in the native Windows
GRASS 6.4.x? For example, I noticed that some of the GRASS scripts that
have been translated to Python require a grass.py package, which I don't
see in my osgeo4w installation.

Kind regards,

Luigi

>> Any idea what happens and/or testing hints for better diagnosis?
>>

> Not really. This may just be a case of Cygwin not fully supporting
> Windows 7 yet.

In case I want to keep trying compiling on Cygwin, should I do that in a
parallel Cygwin installation on, say, a different HD partition (to
preserve at least one functional Cygwin version)?

Kind regards and thanks again for your help,

Luigi