[GRASS-user] g.region (was v.to.rast conversion)

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at googlemail.com
Tue Dec 15 10:23:11 EST 2009

Hi,

Giacomo Piva wrote:
>> [...]
>>
>> I should convert a shapefile into a raster file (GeoTIFF format) at a
>> given resolution and I want to use the GRASS modules as a command
>> line tools.
>> I followed the instructions in the chapter "Automated usage of grass"
>> in the Markus's book and I created a bash script in order to prepare
>> the grass enviroment:
>>
>> #!/bin/bash
>> LOCATION=test
>>
>> GISBASE=/usr/local/grass-6.5.svn
>> GISDBASE=/usr/local/share/grassdata
>>
>> rm $HOME/.grassrc6
>> rm -rf "$GISDBASE/$LOCATION" #cleaning LOCATION
>>
>> TMPDIR=$$.tmp
>> mkdir -p $GISDBASE/$TMPDIR/temp
>>
>> echo "LOCATION_NAME: $TMPDIR" > $HOME/.grassrc6
>> echo "MAPSET: temp" >> $HOME/.grassrc6
>> echo "DIGITIZER: none" >> $HOME/.grassrc6
>> echo "GISDBASE: $GISDBASE" >> $HOME/.grassrc6
>>
>> export GISBASE=$GISBASE
>> export GISRC=$HOME/.grassrc6
>> export PATH=$PATH:$GISBASE/bin:$GISBASE/scripts
>>
>> After these lines I run the v.in.ogr module to import the vector:
>> v.in.ogr -o -e dsn=./test_data/test_data.shp output=grass_map
According to the grass book, the v.in.ogr command should include the
location option:
v.in.ogr -o -e dsn=./test_data/test_data.shp output=grass_map
location=$LOCATION

then go to the newly created location (set the environment variables
accordingly and update .grassrc6), set the region extends and resolution
to your demands, run v.to.rast, then r.out.gdal.

IMHO, it is easier to use the GUI.

Hope that helps,

Markus M