[GRASS-user] Mask creation from sporadic data v.hull

John Tate john.tate at ntlworld.com
Fri Dec 18 07:04:41 EST 2009

Hi all,

For a while now I have been trying to make an accurate mask for LiDAR points.
As I am working with 1m resolution data I want the mask to be accurate (no
more than 1m around the edge of the points/flight area).

The data is wavy around the edges, due to a windy flight when the data was
collected, so v.hull ignores the waves and joins the crests, adding vast NULL
areas to the mask. Also, there are up to 10m holes within the individual
swaths.

r.in.xyz at 5m resolution has given me the best results so far as final
accuracy masks, but not for the processing as I want holes within the data
filled with v.surf.rst.

I have looked at v.delaunay and v.voronoi too, but both need topology built
and don't have similar outputs to v.hull regarding vast NULL areas. This is ok
for 1km tiles, but I want to process each swath separately (study on swath
accuracy) and these can be c.5million points each.

Does anyone know if there is way to do this accurately without manually
digitizing? Have I missed something in the book/manual?

Cheers

John