[GRASS-user] grass70 and display monitor

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 19 21:31:23 EST 2009

Nikos:
>> May I be considered bothersome, but was it really impossible to
>> achieve (like in grass65) the development of a wxGUI
>> (which I really enjoy too) while keeping the complete set of
>> "historical" command line environment ?
Glynn:
> Very little is actually impossible, but the disadvantages (in terms of
> both effort and detriment to the end product) far outweigh the
> advantages.

Rest assured that when all the dust has settled from the new GUI work,
if there remains demand for control from the (bash) command line, it
will be provided in some form or another. this is free software after
all and itches do get scratched.

To echo Glynn, I can guarantee that the "complete set" of d.* will not
survive, and that it is extremely unlikely that there will be any
competing menu driven GUIs.

I do expect that some purposefully simple PPM image monitor window will
happen one day. Don't expect it to be very interactive or stateful, or
even more than just an official addon.

Hamish