[GRASS-user] Gathering all layers, defining subset

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Dec 21 14:01:30 EST 2009

   I'm not finding the documentation to read so I can figure out what modules
to apply, and how to use them correctly. A pointer to appropriate
references is appreciated. When I have this working I'll write it up and add
it to the Wiki.

   Situation: $GISBASE is /usr4/grassbase. In there is a location named
'Oregon' (mapset 'rbs') with 5 vector layers. The projection is the Oregon
Lambert Conformal Conic and the boundaries include the entire state. In
addition there is a location 'dem10m_northwest' with the same projection
but bounds for the northwest portion of the state, and another location
we'll call 'project'.

   Need: To have all 5 vector layers and the raster DEM layer in the
'project' location with bounds defined by the drainage basin boundary
(watershed) for the stream of interest.

   Seems to me the steps should be:

   1) Copy each vector layer from the original location to 'project'. But,
g.copy isn't working for me as I try to follow the example on the man page:

GRASS 6.4.0svn (project):/usr4/grassbase > g.copy vect='lotic at Oregon',streams
WARNING: <lotic at Oregon> not found

   2) Copy the raster DEM layer from the original location to 'project'

GRASS 6.4.0svn (project):/usr4/grassbase > g.copy rast=dem10m_northwest,elev
WARNING: <dem10m_northwest> not found

   In both cases the full path doesn't help; the '/' is not allowed.

   3) Finding the stream of interest by it's name in the vector attribute
file and the watershed it drains (using the HUC boundaries layer), define
the location's new boundaries to focus on that portion of the full data
sets. Clip/mask all layers to that size.

   4) Display DEM with raster/site overlays (defining color tables for each
vector layer and symbol/color for the site layer).

   5) Attach the map layers to the SQLite database holding tables for each
vector layer (dams, highways, huc6, lentic, lotic, features).

   That's a good start. :-)

   BTW, man pages are great as syntax reminders but terrible for learning.
The GRASS book (2nd ed.) has a great section on applications, but many
manipulations needed by new (or returning) users are not covered. As I work
my way through this project I'll write up the procedures needed and make
them available to either the documentation team or the wiki.

Rich