[GRASS-user] Setting DEFAULT_WIND from WIND

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 23 07:24:48 EST 2009

Rich wrote:
> north:      1675042.91428572
> south:      88600.88
> west:       183871.73714286
> east:       2345213.16857142
> nsres:      1.00000002
> ewres:      1.0000002

you might want to run "g.region res=1 -a" to cleanse those resolutions.

> rows:       1586442
> cols:       2161341
> cells:      3428842138722

that is ridiculously large. that map would take something like 13,500 GB
to store on your hard drive..

set the resolution so that the map is closer to 5000 x 5000 or whatever
is appropriate for your input map.

> and this is what is in the mapset's WIND file.
> Unfortunately, the
> DEFAULT_WIND in the PERMANENT mapset has only:
>
> proj:       99
> zone:       0
> north:      1
> south:      0
> east:       1
> west:       0
> cols:       1
> rows:       1
> e-w resol:  1
> n-s resol:  1
> top:        1
> bottom:     0
> cols3:      1
> rows3:      1
> depths:     1
> e-w resol3: 1
> n-s resol3: 1
> t-b resol:  1

that's what DEFAULT_WIND gets set to if you didn't set up the default
bounds when you created the region. if you created the location
automatically it skips asking you. it's harmless, ignore it for now.

>   Question: if I run g.region -s from within the PERMANENT mapset
> won't it just use the same zeros and ones as above rather than
> taking them from the meaningful mapset?

-s sets from the current region settings, shown with g.region -p.

> Follow on question: how to I make the PERMANENT mapset
> match that of the counties WIND without just using a text
> editor ...

from PERM:
g.region rast=map at some_mapset
  or