[GRASS-user] g.copy Question

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Wed Dec 23 23:39:53 EST 2009

On Dec 23, 2009, at 9:14 PM, grass-user-request at lists.osgeo.org wrote:

> Message: 11
> Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2009 04:08:06 +0000
> From: Glynn Clements <glynn at gclements.plus.com>
> Subject: Re: [GRASS-user] g.copy Question
> To: Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com>
> Cc: grass-users at lists.osgeo.org
>

> Rich Shepard wrote:
>
>>   In the Oregon location I have a mapset named 'dem' that contains the 10m
>> DEM raster map. After I start grass64 from within the PERMANENT mapset I try
>> to copy that raster DEM from Oregon/dem to Oregon/PERMANENT using
>>      g.copy rast='dem at dem',elev
>> but this fails with "WARNING: <dem at dem> not found".
>>
>>   What have I done incorrectly here?
>
> No idea. Does the map show up in the output of "g.list rast"?

Rich,

If you are in Linux, file names are case sensitive. You have to do the following

g.copy rast=DEM at dem,elev

Note the DEM vs. dem. Also, you don't need the single quotes

A suggestion: using the GUI helps avoid syntax errors while you're getting used to the new system. Commands are printed to the console and at the bottom of each command dialog so that you can see them, and copy/paste them.

Michael